Skip to main content

Frustration Station

I've been meaning to update y'all on the crazy that is my dance life right now (maybe even with pictures!) but I haven't had much of a chance to sit down, or to take said pictures.

Rehearsals are going well, though are exhausting as per usual. Because we're doing a musical, rather than a ballet, a lot of the dances are in character shoes (with a 1.5 inch heel), and that is its own special sort of torture.

However, if the title of my post is any indication, that's not what I really came to post about. I am completely and totally frustrated by pointe at the moment.

After my original foot problem, I eased back up onto pointe and was starting to do full classes in them (re-conditioning ones feet to pointe shoes is no fun. Especially when one is still sporting a super awesome bruised toenail on one foot). Then, of course, my luck went downhill. Two weeks ago, I started getting some pain in the Achilles area of my OTHER foot. Saw the doc, and it seems to be a different problem (just some inflammation, likely from overcompensating because of the other foot), so I'm on a heavy dose of anti-inflammatories and need to ice, etc. Luckily the doctor said I could still do pointe, as long as I didn't have pain.

Well, I don't have pain, exactly, but it feels weird. I do have some aching in the mornings, so I'm not sure what the deal is. In the meantime, I've also totally lost all my strength (or at least that's what it feels like), and have suddenly become hyperaware of my shoes, and how TINY the platform is. I mean...there's no wiggle room to get onto pointe like there is in a shoe with a wider platform (i.e. the Bloch Heritage I was wearing for awhile). I'm either on, or not, and that's sort of petrifying because if I miss? I'm down...I could fall, or sprain an ankle or whatever. Or at least I'm paranoid about doing so.

Also? Now both my big toes are bruised, which makes me wonder if the RPs are right for me (whimper). Between the platform and the bruised toe, I'm thinking I may have to go on a shoe hunt again, which does not thrill me in the slightest. UGH.

#dancerproblems, am I right?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Elevé Dancewear

Last week, Poets & Pirouettes reviewed a custom leotard she ordered from Lone Reed Designs , and sparked my interest in trying an independent designer the next time I want a custom leotard.  We started having a conversation about my experience ordering from Elev é Dancewear , and I realized, "Duh, Jackie! You have a blog now! You should review and talk about those leotards in detail there instead of hijacking the comments section of this post!"  (Sorry m'dear!)  Also, I've determined that P&P and I could be horrible enablers for each other (in the best possible way). (As an aside, you should go follow her blog , she is an amazing writer and fabulous to boot). Now, let's get down to business and talk about Elev é . 

A Week With ArtÉmotion

At the beginning of June, I traveled to Salt Lake City for the  artÉmotion Adult Ballet Summer Intensive , and it was THE BEST THING EVER. The classes were amazing, the teachers were amazing, the other dancers were amazing...I could go on and on. Plus Salt Lake City had some pretty amazing weather (sunny and hot all week, which I love). To sum up (I'll go into greater detail below), I HIGHLY recommend it and would do it again. In a heartbeat. With exclamation points!!  Side note: my ankle did fine, and I wasn't nearly as sore as I expected. More details on the program below for those that are curious.

Getting Older Sucks & Other Updates

I'm sure my fellow adult dancers can commiserate. What's the most frustrating, as someone who grew up dancing, is that I can't do things I used to be able to do. I was always a jumper growing up (especially grand allegro) and now I feel like I can't even get off the floor. Petit allegro is miserable for similar reasons, but also because I cannot get my brain and body to sync. I know the exercise beforehand and can mark it just fine, but once I actually start jumping my body just won't GO. I'm not sure how much of this is still weakness from not being able to dance for awhile and how much is...well...age. Ugh. Weirdly, though, I can do triple pirouettes now and never got those as a teen, so maybe its all in my head. Anyhoodle--updates! Ankle is definitely better--I finally finished PT last month! My flexibility still doesn't quite match on that side, so plies can be a little weird (especially in jumps...hmm). Its happiest when I'm using it-