Skip to main content

Life Isn't Fair (if you're a teen)

As I've mentioned before, my current ballet studio has a set dress code for its students. Each level has a specific style/color of leotard that they're required to wear for class, and there is a no skirts, shorts, or pants rule (though they're okay for jazz).  There are only two exceptions:
  • Adult students (18+) can wear whatever they want (and men/boys obviously have different rules).
  • It's that time-o-the-month.
I attend class with the intermediate/advanced teenagers (aka: Grade V, even though we don't follow a syllabus), and that class also has a set leotard (a black Capeizo BraTek).  However, because I'm over 18, I can (and do) wear crazy leotards, shorts, skirts, and leggings.

My bin of (crazy) leotards.

The girls are mostly in the 12-16 age range, so they're at that point where they're getting uncomfortable with their changing bodies and want to hide them. This results in semi-sneaky attempts to wear shorts in ballet. Each time the wardrobe mistress notices, she makes the girls remove them while the girls grumble and groan, but overall its usually a fairly peaceful battle.

This week it got a little heated. Apparently, there had been a lecture regarding shorts and the dress code on Tuesday (I wasn't there, but the AD mentioned it later). Despite said lecture, some of the teens were wearing shorts again on Wednesday. Wardrobe!Mistress noticed, and told the girls to remove them. They didn't, and were still wearing them when we were setting the barres up for class.  As you can imagine, the wardrobe mistress got annoyed

"Take them off NOW," she said, glaring at the ladies in question.

"But Glorie doesn't have to!" was the argumentative response.

Um. Awkward.  Of course, this was a day when I was wearing the most random outfit ever--my Laico leo with a black sports bra (complete with showing straps!), pink tights, and knee length black leggings. Not to mention one leg warmer around the ankle of my healing foot. If there was ever a human that did not fit the dress code that day, it was me. Wardrobe!Mistress reminded them that I was an adult. Arguments continued. Finally the shorts came off and class went on as normal.

After technique class, the teens stayed to do some partnering, but I skipped out because of my foot. I ended up talking to both the AD and the wardrobe mistress about my attire. I suggested that I could at least wear black leotards so that I looked like a part of the class, and maybe a simple black skirt (to still have "adult" status). I was slightly surprised and delighted when they both said, "NO. You're an adult. You've earned it. You can wear whatever the hell you want." Well, yay!  Not that I'll ever wear shorts again, because I have discovered they are completely unflattering on me.

Also good because I totally just ordered two new custom leotards from an Etsy shop (I'll be sure to review when they arrive, but it will be at least a month), and neither is black. Oops.


*UGH BRAS. I'll get into that in another post.


Comments

  1. I totally hear you. I wish the girls didn't feel so self conscious, but they do and I understand. I really wish though they'd NOT wear bras. It's SO uncomfortable to do cambres and the like in a BRA. I'm so comfortable outside a bra now I really don't choose to wear them unless I HAVE to. Even though it may just be a sports bra. It has to be a super public event like a wedding to get me in one now- yeesh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Elevé Dancewear

Last week, Poets & Pirouettes reviewed a custom leotard she ordered from Lone Reed Designs , and sparked my interest in trying an independent designer the next time I want a custom leotard.  We started having a conversation about my experience ordering from Elev é Dancewear , and I realized, "Duh, Jackie! You have a blog now! You should review and talk about those leotards in detail there instead of hijacking the comments section of this post!"  (Sorry m'dear!)  Also, I've determined that P&P and I could be horrible enablers for each other (in the best possible way). (As an aside, you should go follow her blog , she is an amazing writer and fabulous to boot). Now, let's get down to business and talk about Elev é . 

A Week With ArtÉmotion

At the beginning of June, I traveled to Salt Lake City for the  artÉmotion Adult Ballet Summer Intensive , and it was THE BEST THING EVER. The classes were amazing, the teachers were amazing, the other dancers were amazing...I could go on and on. Plus Salt Lake City had some pretty amazing weather (sunny and hot all week, which I love). To sum up (I'll go into greater detail below), I HIGHLY recommend it and would do it again. In a heartbeat. With exclamation points!!  Side note: my ankle did fine, and I wasn't nearly as sore as I expected. More details on the program below for those that are curious.

Getting Older Sucks & Other Updates

I'm sure my fellow adult dancers can commiserate. What's the most frustrating, as someone who grew up dancing, is that I can't do things I used to be able to do. I was always a jumper growing up (especially grand allegro) and now I feel like I can't even get off the floor. Petit allegro is miserable for similar reasons, but also because I cannot get my brain and body to sync. I know the exercise beforehand and can mark it just fine, but once I actually start jumping my body just won't GO. I'm not sure how much of this is still weakness from not being able to dance for awhile and how much is...well...age. Ugh. Weirdly, though, I can do triple pirouettes now and never got those as a teen, so maybe its all in my head. Anyhoodle--updates! Ankle is definitely better--I finally finished PT last month! My flexibility still doesn't quite match on that side, so plies can be a little weird (especially in jumps...hmm). Its happiest when I'm using it-