Skip to main content

A Little Bit of Everything

Sorry for the radio silence, y'all!  I've been pretty busy and haven't had a proper chance to sit down and blog, which of course means that I have a backlog of things to say (this is a little long). (Also, apologies for my liberal use of gifs.)

Teaching Update
Because of the whims of fate, I have suddenly found myself teaching three days a week! The teacher of the tiny pre-ballerinas got injured, so the AD took over and had me assist her teaching the class. After only 1-2 classes AD decided I was fine on my own and let me take over--eep!
On top of teaching them three days a week (there are 3 different classes--so many precious tiny ballerinas!), I have also had to come up with new dances for each class to do for the spring recital. I have no experience choreographing whatsoever, so that has been a bit of a learning curve. Luckily, this is the 3-5 year olds, so the steps are very simple, and they're cute no matter what they do.

Class/Rehearsals

As for us "big girls" (heh), one of our teachers went on an adventure for a few months, so just this week we had a new one take over. She has taught at the studio before, but before my time, and I had great fun in her class yesterday. She was very complimentary, which was nice--I was told that I have very nice feet (this always makes me smile--the one ballerina part I have are my feet), and later after we had rehearsed our pointe piece she asked me if I had ever auditioned for a company. I was surprised, and told her no, and when she asked why, I explained that when I was younger I'd been very shy and didn't like the competitiveness of that kind of thing. She asked if I performed with other groups in town, too, but I don't (yet?) 

It was uplifting, especially after my recent jealousy over other adults getting such opportunities, that a totally new teacher (and former Russian ballet dancer) thought I was good enough to actually perform with some kind of company!

Pointe

 
That pretty much sums it up. It was going really well, until maybe last week when I noticed my left shoe seemed to be getting really twisty. The twisting shifts me to the outer part of the platform, and is probably a reason I keep having tendonitis issues. I tried adjusting the elastics and that helped a little, but not completely. My AD thinks I need a shoe with a longer wing, so the never-ending pointe shoe hunt continues (I am sobbing quietly in a corner).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Elevé Dancewear

Last week, Poets & Pirouettes reviewed a custom leotard she ordered from Lone Reed Designs , and sparked my interest in trying an independent designer the next time I want a custom leotard.  We started having a conversation about my experience ordering from Elev é Dancewear , and I realized, "Duh, Jackie! You have a blog now! You should review and talk about those leotards in detail there instead of hijacking the comments section of this post!"  (Sorry m'dear!)  Also, I've determined that P&P and I could be horrible enablers for each other (in the best possible way). (As an aside, you should go follow her blog , she is an amazing writer and fabulous to boot). Now, let's get down to business and talk about Elev é . 

A Week With ArtÉmotion

At the beginning of June, I traveled to Salt Lake City for the  artÉmotion Adult Ballet Summer Intensive , and it was THE BEST THING EVER. The classes were amazing, the teachers were amazing, the other dancers were amazing...I could go on and on. Plus Salt Lake City had some pretty amazing weather (sunny and hot all week, which I love). To sum up (I'll go into greater detail below), I HIGHLY recommend it and would do it again. In a heartbeat. With exclamation points!!  Side note: my ankle did fine, and I wasn't nearly as sore as I expected. More details on the program below for those that are curious.

Getting Older Sucks & Other Updates

I'm sure my fellow adult dancers can commiserate. What's the most frustrating, as someone who grew up dancing, is that I can't do things I used to be able to do. I was always a jumper growing up (especially grand allegro) and now I feel like I can't even get off the floor. Petit allegro is miserable for similar reasons, but also because I cannot get my brain and body to sync. I know the exercise beforehand and can mark it just fine, but once I actually start jumping my body just won't GO. I'm not sure how much of this is still weakness from not being able to dance for awhile and how much is...well...age. Ugh. Weirdly, though, I can do triple pirouettes now and never got those as a teen, so maybe its all in my head. Anyhoodle--updates! Ankle is definitely better--I finally finished PT last month! My flexibility still doesn't quite match on that side, so plies can be a little weird (especially in jumps...hmm). Its happiest when I'm using it-